The original House was built in 1789 for John Talbot, 16th Earl of Shrewsbury.
It was leased to the Prince Regent in 1799 to accommodate his 3-year old daughter Princess Charlotte,
who would have become Queen had she not died at the young age of 21 years.
In 1923 Frederick Halse, a local dignitary and past Mayor of Woolwich, built a new mansion,
also named Shrewsbury House, a little to the south of the original site, the original House was demolished in 1925.
During and after the War, the House was used as a Civil Defence Control Centre;
it eventually became a Community Centre in 1968.